- 9.35% of Global Seafarers is from India
- India is 3rd Nation for supplying seafarers ( officers/ engineers ) in the world. China at 1st , Philippines at 2nd .
- As per DG Shipping and IMO, 80% Stranded Seafarers globally are Indians. It’s estimated that 183 Indian Seafarers are in various prisons in foreign countries. Year 2018 saw about 2000 Indian Seafarers stranded and asking help from Ministry of External Affairs. UAE remains the hot bed for stranded Seafarers. Special thanks to Minister Sushma Swaraj for helping Seafarers.
1. Seafarers Employed 179,599 in 2018 as compared to 154,349 in 2017. Rise of 16.4%.
2. Top 9 employers for Indian Seafarers are Cruise companies. Other employers are Cargo Ships.
3. In the Year 2018 itself, Indian Seafarers bring USD 9 Billion in remittances to India. Indian Seafarers Industry is USD 10 billion annually.
4. There are 450 DG Shipping approved companies which employed Indian Seafarers.
6. New rule by DG Shipping for issuance of Indian Seaman Book (CDC) basis 5 STCW certs impacts. In 9 months , Shipping Master Mumbai receives 77,921 applications & issues 58,864 CDC to Indian Nationals. That too no scam. Excellent team wok and clean work. DG earns ₹5.5 Crores as CDC Fee.
7. All appreciation to DG Shipping for E-Governance module which now captures data of sponsorship given to Trainees at Institute. New rule for Training Institutes will reduce fresher intake by 50%. This will help to stop production of unemployed Trainees like GP Rating , Trainee Marine Engineers etc.
8. Wages of Indian Seafarers won’t change in the year 2019 as there’s surplus in all ranks except C/O rank in Tanker & Gas fleet.
# Over supply : 3/O, 2/O, 3/E, 4/E, ABs, Oilers , Fitters.
# UnEmployment continues for Deck Cadet , Trainee Wiper , Trainee Marine Engineers , Trainee Fitters to continue.
# Sufficient supply for Master , C/O , 2/E & ETOs to continue. Age and medical fitness will decide employment. Strict parameters in place by companies.
# Shortage of C/E will continue this year too. Nevertheless wages won’t increase as there’s good supply from neighbouring countries.
9. E-Migrate for Indian Seafarers has resulted in some discipline among those agents who operates without any Licenses. Now all Seafarers are routed vide RPSL companies. Nevertheless loop holes exist in this system which is used by agents to send to send fresh Seafarers to Iran, UAE, Vietnam , Nigeria and Turkey. More than 3.3 Lakh entries were logged in E-Migrate for Indian Seafarers. No data available for how many Seafarers returned from Indian Airport who didn’t log into e-migrate.
10. Foreign companies getting good supply of Seafarers due to Tax free salary ( sail More than 183 days) whereas Indian Shipping companies still facing shortage of quality top 4 ranks due to high taxes (25% tax on income). This will continue for the year 2019. Due to collapse of Varun Shipping & no growth of SCI, GESCO, Tolani etc , there’s drop in recruitment for Indian Flag Vessel. Seems Indian Flag Vessel will become obsolete by 2030.