How to join as a GP Rating in Merchant Navy?
1. What is meant by GP Ratings?
In a merchant cargo ship, there are mainly two departments, Deck department and Engine department. In both the departments, crew are required to work under the supervision of officers. They are called GP ratings (General purpose rating). There is also third department called saloon department which comprises of cooks and a stewards.
2. Can I join ship as a GP Rating?
After 10th pass, one can join a 6 months course course for G.P. rating. very few number of vacancies arise every year and there are many institutes conducting this course. I have seen people who haven't got job two years after doing this course. Hence I would like to caution you before you take admission for this course.
3.) How to join GP rating course?
To join as GP rating in merchant navy, you are required to undergo 6 months pre-sea course from D/G shipping approved institute.
3.1) Minimum Academic Qualification
Pass with aggregate 40% marks in 10th Standard from a recognized Board with Science, Mathematic as subjects and with minimum 40% marks in English language either in 10th , 12th or diploma/degree exam.
3.2) Maximum age limit – Between 17.5 to 25 years.
3.3) Physical and Medical Standards: Medically fit as per the standards set by Merchant Shipping Medical Examination Rules.
3.4) Institutes Conducting GP rating course. (Please check http://www.dgshipping.gov.in/ as sometimes these institutes get suspended by D/G shipping.)
1. Orissa Maritime Academy, Paradip
2. Trident College of Marine Technology, Kolkata
3. Maritime Education Training & Research Insitute, Kolkata
4. Maritime Academy of India, Kolkata
5. Asha Institute of Marine Technology, Varanasi
6. Sriram Institute of Maritime Studies, New Delhi
7. Acqatech Institute of maritime Studies,New Delhi
8. J. Sons Merchant Navy Institute, Meerut
9. Euro Tech Maritime Academy, Kochi
10. Commander Ali Academy of Merchant Navy, Secudarabad
11. Sri Chakra Maritime College,Auroville
12. Balaji Seaman Training Institute, Chennai
13. Cosmopolitan Technology of Maritime, Chennai
14. Hindustan Institute of Maritime Training, Chennai
15. Indus Seafares Training Academy, Chennai`
16. International Maritime Academy, Chennai
17. Maritime Foundation, Chennai
18. Southern Academy of Maritime Studies, Chennai
19. Tamilnadu Maritime Academy, Chennai
20. Maritime Training Academy, Udawada, Gujarat
21. Sea Scan Maritime Academy, Goa
22. NUSI Maritime Academy, Goa
23. Columbus Maritime Training Institute, Khopoli
24. MMTI’s Education & Research Trsut, Khopoli
25. Arya Marine Academy, Mumbai
26. T.S. Rahaman, Navi Mumbai
27. Bonzer Academy of Maritime Studies, Mumbai
28. B.P. Marine Academy, Navi Mumbai
29. Yak Education Trust, Khopoli
30. Baba Marine Institute, Mumbai
31. Marine Medical Clinic, Mumbai
32. Marine Officers Training Academy, Pondicherry
33. Dr.B.R. Ambedkar Govt.Polytechnic, Port Blair
34. School of Seamanship and Nautical Technology, Kanchipuram, Tamilnadu
35. Oceanic Maritime Academy, Dehradun
3.5) Selection by Shipping Companies
You have to apply directly to individual shipping companies after completion of the course. If You are MERI student, then you have almost 100% chances of getting selected prior completion of the course.
(4) How to join 6 Month Pre-Sea Course for General Purpose Rating for Fitters/Petty Officers?
4.1 ) Minimum Academic Qualification
Pass in 2-Year I.T.I. course from Govt. Approved Institute with minimum 50% aggregate marks in final year and minimum 40% marks in English at 10th or 12th or diploma/degree exam.
4.2 ) Maximum age limit –Between 17.5 to 25 years.
4.3) List of Institutes conducting the course: Pleaser check 3.4
5. List of Institutes closed or suspended.
Sr. No. INDOS No. Name of Institute
1. 831 Academy of Marine Studies, Kochi
2. 40 ACE Maritime Institute, Mumbai
3. 31 Aditya Training & Maritime Services, Mumbai
4. 62 Applied Research International, Navi Mumbai
5. 839 Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
6. 51 Cadet Academy, The Great Eastern Shipping Co. Ltd, Mumbai
7. 701 Calcutta Docking & Engineering Limited, Kolkata
8. 706 Central Inland Water Transport Corporation Limited, Kolkata
9. 302 Century Maritime Institute, Mumbai
10. 825 Chennai Maritime Academy, Chennai
11. 809 Choudhary Tech Ship Services Pvt Ltd, Chennai
12. 41 Chowgule Maritime Academy, Mumbai
13. 410 Doon Mariners Academy, Dehra Dun
14. 20 Dr. P.C. Ahluwalia Courses, Mumbai
15. 35 Essem Marine Academy, Mumbai
16. 610 Fosma Maritime Institute & Research Organization, Kolkata
17. 702 Hooghly Dock & Port Engineers, Kolkata
18. 015 International Institute of Maritime Studies Mumbai
19. 609 Institute of Marine Radio Officer, Kolkata
20 67 Krishna Maritech, Thane
21. 38 Kushte Nursing Home Pune
22. 414 Merchant Navy Training Academy Jaipur
23. 52 MBPT/FOSMA Seafarers Training Centre Mumbai
24. 408 National Institute of Merchant Navy Training Meerut
25. 822 Naval Maritime Academy Visakhapatnam
26. 050 Ocean Prima Marine Institute Pvt Ltd Mumbai
27. 36 Pacific Ship Management Mumbai
28. 49 Pelican Marine Academy Navi Mumbai
29. 304 Patel Engineering Works Mumbai
30. 48 Pelican Shipping Company Mumbai
31 417 RCA Merchant Navy Academy Bijnor (UP)
32. 47 Seascan Marine Services Mumbai
33. 71 Shivneri Marine Academy Raigad
34. 56 St. John Ambulance Association Mumbai
35. 603 St. John Ambulance Association Kolkata
36. 29 Vankri Maritime Academy Mumbai
37. 25 Varun Shipping Co. Ltd Mumbai
38. 707 Vishakhapatnam Port Trust Vizag
39. 13 Wallem Ship Management Limited , Mumbai
40. 27 Zephyr Shipping Pvt. Ltd, Mumbai
41. 704 The Shalimar Works(1980) Limited, Kolkata
42. 904 Binny Engineers Limited, Chennai
43. 611 Radio Marine Institute, Kolkata
44. 068 Vasantdada Patil Pratisthan's College of Engg. , Mumbai